Monday, July 9, 2012

A List

With the every-ten-years Sight and Sound 10 Best Films Poll coming up soon, I thought I might offer my own "10 Best", just for shits and giggles.

First of all, in order to make some room on the list, I'm going to award emeritus status to Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941), The Rules of the Game (Renoir, 1939), and Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953), and just put them on an honorary shelf to the side.

The rest of the list - for today at least - would look like this:

The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1928)
Persona (Bergman, 1966)
Gates of Heaven (Morris, 1978)
Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1978)
Last Year at Marienbad (Resnais, 1961)
A Serious Man (Coen Bros, 2009)
Sunrise (Murnau, 1927)
Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
Blow-up (Antonioni, 1966)
Drifting Clouds (Kaurismäki, 1996)

I could come up with another list tomorrow - well, in a few months - which might include some different names. And then there's my "10 Favorites" list, which is different from my "10 Best". Another day.

3 comments:

Kari E-K said...

I've long held that Sunrise is in the top ten, so I'm happy to see it on this list. I'll have to put most of the rest on my list of films to watch.

-Kari E-K

Robert Hawkes said...

Actually, I'm not sure that Sunrise shouldn't just go on the Emeritus shelf with the other three.

Jim said...

No Fritz Lang? Surely he was an influence on the Coen Brothers. And I would include Kubrick's "Strangelove," as the greatest singular achievement in dark ironic comedy of all cinema, and as an example of one director's mastery. Also to consider: Yasojiro Ozu, perhaps "Late Spring," or "Tokyo Story." You know, ten is such a small number.